Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day Resolution

I'm not with my mom for Mother's Day this year. We were with her last week, however, and she mentioned how lonely it was going to be this Mother's Day without any kids or grandkids around her. I thought to myself....that sounds absolutely wonderful, a day of complete peace where you can do whatever you want to! Being a smart 29 year old who thinks she knows everything I turned to her and told her as much, to which she replied "No it doesn't sound perfect to me, it sounds lonely." I answered with some remark about how when she was my age she probably thought differently, but as the week has progressed it's been weighing on my mind. My daughters are 9 and 7 already, when you're going day to day it does seem like forever, but when you look back on it as a whole you realize you blinked and life flashed by. So for this Mother's Day I'm going to make a mother's resolution (unlike New Years resolutions because I've completely given up on those) to stop looking to the future for when the kids are older and I don't have to be as hands on anymore, but instead, to enjoy every moment of what precious time I have left before they're completely independent. I will have many days of peace and quiet in the future, for now I just need to soak up the snuggles, giggles, sparkles, unicorns, and, yes, even the occasional (or not so occasional) chaos.
To my mom this Mother's day, thank you for life, of course, but also thank you for enjoying those times of chaos and snuggles when I was younger. Thank you for teaching me new life lessons even as an adult. Thank you for loving me even though I know I can be hard to love. I love you!
To my precious daughters, thank you for making me a mother, thank you for the snuggles, giggles, sparkles, unicorns, and chaos. It is a privilege to be your mom and I love you so so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment