Thursday, May 5, 2016

Reading to Fur Babies.

So far this week I've had one glorious mom win. A few weeks ago I signed the girls up for "Paws for Reading". When explaining it to other people I often got a confused look that seemed to say "why in the world would you drive all the way to the animal shelter to let your kids read to animals who don't know or care what they are saying.' Well to all the nay-sayers, we had our first reading time yesterday and it was a hit! My youngest daughter, Lyla, has a hard time reading and this gave her a non-judgmental listener of her favorite species... furry animal. This week we read to the dogs and next time we go we'll snuggle into the cat room to read. There were two dogs in particular that had some adjustment issues and didn't love people walking up to their kennel, they are who we spent the most time with. Lyla was truly in her element. Not only did she read but she also had one of the adjustment issue dogs sit, lay, and stand back up for a treat (no barking involved).

There was even a dog that was looking at the pictures in the book as Lyla showed them to her.

Annie held the full attention of the other dog with adjustment issues as she read a book to him. You could see him physically change, going from pacing and stressed to laying down and staring at her. He seemed to have a real connection to her which made her so happy. I quickly realized that not only is this a fun way to read, but it's also a great way for kids to begin volunteer work (their hours are being clocked). The program doesn't just help the children (or adults) with reading difficulties, it actually helps the animals as well.

Annie also read to a dog that totally embodied her. If she were a dog this would be her, you can see it in the picture.
The girls can't wait to go back and I can't wait to take them! Lyla is finally excited about something that involves reading and Annie is sharpening her reading out loud skills.

I have screwed up a lot this week, forgetting to start the dishwasher which led to frantically looking for whatever paper plates I have handy, cooking dinner a little too long in the crockpot, and not starting school until 10:30. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure I'll mess something up (you'd think after being a mom for 9 years I'd be a little better at it) but for now I'm going to bask in this mom win.

No comments:

Post a Comment